Saudi Maaden Acquires African Fertilizer Group Meridian

  • Published | 12 August 2019

The acquisition will help Maaden’s to build global distribution channels for fertilizer products which will stimulate the global fertilizer market

Global: Saudi Arabia’s largest mining company, Maaden, announced its first international acquisition with the purchase of an African Fertilizer distribution company. The publicly-listed Saudi Arabian Mining Company will acquire an 85 percent stake in the Mauritius-based Meridian Group The Saudi global mining giant will secure the remaining 15% of Meridian’s equity over 4 years on agreed terms related to the performance of the African company, which distributes approximately half-a-million tons of fertilizer through its network of granulation and blending plants, warehousing complexes, and transport facilities. This transaction will provide logistics advantages in Southeast Africa, and greater knowledge of on-the-ground consumer supplies, both of which will be contributory to better serving customers. Ma’aden is attaining incomparable access to complementary distribution, blending and product development capabilities in this fast-growth region.


According to BlueWeave Consulting, the global fertilizer market is expected to witness tremendous growth rate during the forecast period. Owing to the growing demand for Micronutrient and Organic Fertilizers. Organic fertilizers are renewable, biodegradable, sustainable, and environmentally friendly. Organic fertilizers are formed by plants, animals, or minerals and contain a variety of nutrients to enhance the soil ecosystem. In addition to releasing nutrients, as organic fertilizers break down, they improve the structure of the soil and increase its ability to hold water and nutrients. Micronutrients are important for the optimal progress of plants as they provide the required nutrients to plants. The emergent concern over the existing pattern of fertilizer use, with substantial dependence on nitrogenous fertilizer, coupled with deprived nutrition management, absence of balancing inputs, deteriorating soil fertility, and weak marketing and distribution systems, have all emerged as major restraints to improve fertilizer effectiveness in the region. It was antagonized with irregular global nutrient demand, soft commercial prospects, miserable crop prices, increasing market competition, and explosive energy prices. This amalgamation formed high uncertainty in the fertilizer market throughout the year. Rapid industrialization and development are resulting in the reduction of fertile land, which in turn is leading the farmers to use fertilizers for increasing crop yield. Additionally, the growing construction of new sulfur burners in developing countries is further estimated to address the growing demand for fertilizers in the coming years.

Global Organic Fertilizers Market, By Raw Material Type (Plant, Animal and Mineral), By Form (Dry and Liquid), By Crop Type(Cereals & Grains, Oil seeds & Pulses, and Fruits & Vegetables.), By Application (Farming And Gardening), By Region (North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Middle East & Africa and Latin America); Size and Forecast,2018-2025. The global Organic Fertilizers is estimated to grow at a significant rate, during the forecast period 2018-2025. Augmentation in land area under organic cultivation and technological advancement in the manufacturing of organic fertilizers are the key factors driving the global Organic fertilizer market in upcoming years. Moreover, Government initiatives and regulations such as subsiding prices, wastage reduction, and stringent rules on usage of non-biodegradable raw materials in various countries for eco-friendly solutions are major factors in the growth of the global organic market.


Global Sulfuric Acid Market, By Raw Material(Elemental Sulfur, Base Metal Smelters, Pyrite Ore, And Others), By Application(Fertilizers, Chemical Manufacturing, Metal Processing, Petroleum Refining,Textile Industry, Automotive, Pulp & Paper And Others), By Region (North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Middle East & Africa And Latin America),Price Trend Analysis, Competitive Market Share And Forecast, 2015-2025Global Sulfuric Acid market is projected to grow with a significant growth rate during the forecast period owing to the growing production of nutrient-dense food crops, increasing use in metal processing and rising demand for sulfur-based fertilizers. Sulfuric acid is a strong mineral acid denoted by the molecular formula H2SO4. Continuous and stable demand for sulfuric acid due to several end-user applications and rising demand from the oil & gas industry, wastewater treatment are the factors favoring the market growth.